Biniali: Streets and Squares with History






0,5 km


Comfortable shoes and clothing


Biniali_ruta urbana.gpx

Biniali: Streets and Squares with History

The center of Biniali, belonging to the Mallorcan Pla region but with its eyes on the Raiguer region and the Serra Tramuntana, exudes from all its corners history: from the Parish Church to the Old Windmill; from the remarkable and grandiose  houses to the lintel of a peasant house’s door. When one  walks through its streets you  understand part of the island’s history, constructed on the basis of centuries and perseverance, always without shrillness, within the natural order of a community that has lived according to a natural rhythm. A route to enjoy some of the most precious historic buildings of this small, but grand community.


So n’Antic

The houses of So n’Antic are some of the most representative and emblematic of the village. They appear already documented in the 16th century, by the notary Joan Antic. In the 18th century this estate was passed onto Joan Rotger Blanquer. Later the main house and lands were divided. At the end of the 19th century it belonged to Miquel Molina and currently belongs to the Jaquotot family. The house in itself has three floors, located in a beautiful setting surrounded by gardens. A detail that characterizes the building is a representation of the Virgen Immaculate Conception attached to the main facade, dating back to the year 1661.


Església parroquial de Sant Cristòfol

Given the growth of the population, in 1673 permission was granted for the construction of an oratory in the village. Two years later it was blessed and dedicated to Saint Christopher. In 1817 it obtained the category of vicarage in capite. In 1860 work was started on the temple. Finally, in 1934 Biniali’s church obtained the title as a Parish Church. It is a temple with a single nave, presided over by a beautiful image of the titular saint, a piece of work by Antòni Llabrés Mudoi. Of all these chapels the ones that stand out the most are Sant Francesc, Sant Josep (image from the convent of Santa María) and, very specifically, the pictorial scenes of the Calvary.


La Rectoria

It is located next to the church and dates back to the year 1696. A few years before, the town people from Biniali bought a plot of land in order to build a house for the priest. From then on, the house acted as a vicarage until in 1934, when it became the Rectory and obtained the title of Parish.


Molí de cas Moliner

Flour windmill, located at the end of Carreró del Molí. It was completed in 1835 as indicated by an inscription on one of the jambs, but currently is without blades. The constructors were Sebastià Company and Antòni Amengual. The tower is of circular section, with a lintel portal, formerly located above the awning.


Plaça de la Concepció

It’s at the heart of the village. In the middle stands a monument dedicated to the Virgen Immaculate Conception, its construction began in 1854, as written on a plaque, by Father Gabriel Ribas de Pina Gallard and completed in 1918 by Father Gabriel Ribas de Pina Conrado. The square is surrounded by several buildings of notable historical value: to the north is Sa Clastra and next to it is Can Valero. Another house of interest is Can Pelet number 3, of three floors. On Carrer Concepció there is what used to be the convent of the Franciscan nuns.


Son Raió

This house, documented from the 17th century in the name of Antòni Raió, had an important cellar. In 1865 it belonged to Antònia Salom, known as Son Raió. Later it belonged to Joan Fiol, who gave the street its name. It is a house of three floors, without a portal to the street, since it is located in the south-east part.


Can Grau

The house called Can Grau number 3 stands out, above all from the Carrer Sant Joan, especially for its traditional appearance and also for the curious inscription that can be seen on the second floor which reads: “March 22, 1856. Mateu Ordinas de Masia Batle”. The current exterior portal replaced an old one, with a round arch and spandrels. The windows present 19th century sills.