Ruberts: tranquillity and tradition

DURATION

0

min. 

DIFFICULTY

Easy

DISTANCE

0,5km.

EQUIPMENT

Comfortable shoes and clothing

GPX

Ruberts_ruta urbana.gpx

Ruberts: tranquillity and tradition

Ruberts is one of the most beautiful and friendly places in Mallorca. Tranquillity and tradition, peace and history come together here like in no other place in our geography. As you stroll along the paths and streets, you will discover a life that has been shaped by the people themselves. Its architecture blends in with its surroundings and friendly, caring people. Ruberts offers serenity without time and, above all, time in abundance. A path through this modest town centre is to enjoy a true universe.

 

The route begins in the centre of Ruberts, at the village square. It is a wide square, closed in on three sides, with the church of Our Lady of Mount Carme in the background, which is interesting both from the outside and the inside, especially because of the pictorial pieces it keeps.

1

Church of Mare de Deú del Carme

The Ruberts church was built on a plot of land that had been given by Son Jordà during the second half of the 18th century. The oratory was consecrated in 1770 and was extended in 1910. The main façade, which opens on to the square, contains a round portal on four steps, flanked by single Corinthian columns and with a hollow tympanum. Above it opens a rose window with a stained glass window depicting the figure of the Mare de Deú del Carme . The façade is completed by a cross on the pediment of the sloped roof, under which there is an arch of blind arches. The interior is of a single nave which is dominated by an altarpiece depicting the Mare de Deú del Carme. The panel of the Circumcision, a work by the painter Mateu Llopis from 1574 to 1578, stands out from the entire artistic ensemble.

 Without leaving the square, it is worth discovering some of the other properties that are located nearby.

2

Plaça de Ruberts

Ruberts Square is the village’s public square, where not only festivals are celebrated, but also cultural and social events take place. This public square is surrounded by a number of interesting houses. At one end is the church and the entrance to Son Jordà. On the left, at number 2, we find Can Carrió and at number 3 the two-storey house Sa Plaça. Number 4 is known as Ses Cases Noves de Can Mateu, which has a magnificent round portal with spandrels and a harmonious distribution of openings. Can Mateu (no. 5) still preserves the old wine chalice. Finally, number 6 is the convent of Ses Monges, which was inhabited by the Congregation of the Sisters of Charity between 1935 and 1960. As you can see on the poster, it also housed the Teleclub for a time.

 In the eastern corner of the square, which is bordered by a barrier, is the house of the large estate of the district from which the urban centre emerged.

3

Son Jordà

The history of this village is closely linked to this estate, as the church and monastery were built on the estates land, which latter was owned by the Sard family, who came from Ciutat. It was originally the Ruberts’ farmstead. In the 15th century it belonged to the Gibert family and in the following century to the Jordà family. From there it passed to the Antic de Lloracs and then to the Sards, who were keen merchants. At the end of the 20th century, it was transformed into a restaurant by the Bibiloni family. The houses, being of great length, have two floors. The outer portal has a round arch, while most of the windows have a moulded window sill in the 18th century style. In one corner was once the cellar, the axis of the estate’s economy. The interior preserves an interesting traditional kitchen.

 We leave the square and walk to the main road, where we turn left. We continue south for a few metres and then the path turns east, leaving the Montuïri path on our left. We are on the road to Lloret, where on the left we find the house of can Baixet (no. 9), whose structures and especially the decoration of the façade are worth seeing.

4

Can Baixet

One of the most unique houses that best represents the popular character of the area is Can Baixet, located on the road to Lloret. It is a house with the façade facing the street, two storeys high and with a beautiful round portal that stands on a single step. There is a simple colcador on the right-hand side. The most interesting feature is the magnificent sgraffito in the upper half of the façade. The aesthetic solution is completed by the panelling of the portal, the upper window and the sides. The overpass, on the other hand, consists of three rows of superimposed tiles.

 Next to this building, a lane leads to the Tramuntana, where we continue. Continuing along this road, we will leave behind several of the estate villages, such as Cas Sabater, Ses Cases d’Allà Baix, Ca na Borrassa, Can Calussa… We follow the main road, turn west and leave the main road, where we turn north-west to visit the boundary cross of Ruberts, located on the edge of the village at a crossroads.

5

Boundary Cross of Ruberts

The cross of Ruberts is located at the exit of the town towards the road to Sineu. It is a simple work that stands on a round base and a square pilaster. It is a Latin cross, without decorations. This monument marks the boundary of the village, which takes its name from a member of the Robert or Rubert family, who came from Tarragona and took part in the conquest of 1229. The main farmstead was gradually divided up: in the 16th century there were four properties and in the 19th century a total of thirty-one houses with a total of 159 inhabitants.