Sencelles:The ways of the Spirit
Comfortable shoes and clothing
Sencelles:The ways of the Spirit
ust after the conquest (1229), the town of Sencelles showed its deep religiosity through material and immaterial culture. One way to discover it, to understand its legacy, is through a route not only from the buildings and monuments of worship, but also through the footsteps of one of its most famous protagonists: the blessed Sister Fracinaina Cirer.
The Cross of Can Maví
The Can Maví Cross is a district cross and is most interesting from an artistic point of view, and in relation to the town Sencelles itself, in addition to being the most ancient. It dates from 1732 and is of Baroque style. It is a Latin Cross, ornamented on both of the armpits and on the edges. It contains an image of Christ and the Virgin Immaculate, under which is found the date of construction. Representations of seraphim complete the iconography. The octagonal shaft is original, but not the six steps, which were taken during the Civil War and rebuilt years later.
The Cross of S’Era d’en Pelat
It is located at the confluence of the Binialmara road and the street Rector Molinas. From here there is a beautiful view from where you can admire the magnificent Tramuntana mountain range and a good part of El Pla and El Raiguer region. It was blessed on May 3, 1900, as can be read on the plinth. The cross shows straight arms with cross endings. It is accompanied by floral ornamentation and the coat of arms of Sencelles.
Parish Church of Sant Pere
The first temple of the town is documented in 1248, but it soon became too small for its congregation, and therefore at the end of the following century a second parish was constructed. The one we see nowadays was built at the end of the 17th century and the first half of the 18th century. However, at the end of this century, structural problems were detected and needed repair, the same thing happened in the following century, but this time it was due to an earthquake in 1851. From the point of view of the altarpiece, the parish keeps some very important pieces of historical and heritage value: the main altarpiece is Baroque, and has been done by Albert Borguny in 1766, with an image of Saint Peter seated by the local artist Antoni Llabrés Mudoi, from 1811. Likewise, the chapel of Santa Àgueda and that of Sant Joan Baptista should also be mentioned, as it has a panel painting by Mateu López of the Apostles, among other emblematic pieces.
The rectory building occupies one of the most representative houses in the town centre, consisting of three floors, with a beautiful lintel portal and an elegant gallery with three round arches on the first floor. It is documented from1404. The current building, however, is from the middle of the 17th century, as a result of the union of several houses.
Name Plaque for Santa Agueda
At Plaça de l’Obra, located between the parish and the rectory, there is a beautiful set of Valencian tiles by the artist Enrique Sanantonio, representing Saint Agueda, the patron saint of Sencelles. According to tradition, after months of drought in Sencelles and many pleas from the people, it rained on February 5th and saved the crops. As a sign of gratitude, the town of Sencelles venerates her as their patron saint.
Convent of the Sisters of Charity
The convent of the Sisters of Charity occupies the house where the blessed Sister Francinaina Cirer (1781-1855) was born, and who in 1851 ceded it to the community that had just been founded. From then on, important work has been carried out, especially with the addition of a floor and that of a porch. Subsequently, in the years 1945, 1957 and 1986, the convent was enlarged by the acquisition of neighboring houses. The building, which is three stories high, contains the oratory of Our Lady of Sorrows which houses the tomb of the blessed Sister Francinaina Cirer. It is also of interest to highlight another set of rooms: the Convent’s kitchen, a little cloister with a porch, the chamber of the Beata and room-museum about her life and work, etc.
Cross of sa Cometa
It is located at the crossroads between Palma and the Algaida road, right at the end of Carrer Sor Fancinaina Cirer. Popularly it was also known as the Cap d’Amunt cross. It is a Latin cross, made of mares (sandstone), with rounded arms. Facing the village is a relief of Christ, while on the opposite side there is no representation. The cross stands on a hexagonal base. The column shaft is octagonal and the capital shows single mouldings.