Between Water and Wind
Comfortable shoes and clothing.
Between Water and Wind
In this itinerary we will discover these elements located in the mistral area of the district, as well as two of its most significant bridges and one of the most important irrigation and drainage systems of the Pla Mallorquin.
From Classic culture, water and wind are two of its four essential elements. Beyond these considerations, these two have been a key to the survival of our society, which has taken advantage of them in multiple ways (motor power, irrigation ditches, agricultural procedures, etc.) Sencelles, a district with a rich and extensive agricultural and livestock history, has many examples of traditional architecture and engineering related to these elements throughout its territory, of which the flour windmills and also the wells and cisterns are of great importance. We find them within the estates, near barns and in fields. On the other hand, it is essential to channel and save water, and for this reason, traditional engineering has learned how to build irrigation canals and bridges to cross torrent beds.
Water Deposits of Morello's Road
We will find between the town of Sencelles and the village of Sonarrossa, on both sides of the road, a number of traditional wells. The majority are covered or have a chapel-like roof to keep out dead leaves and dirt, and to also protect them from the sun rays. These chapel-like roofs can be round or square and inside of which is installed a crossbar where a pulley hangs. In only one farmhouse today does there still exist a traditional system of jambs.
Son Mascaro´s Acequia (Irrigation canal)
This acequia, that begins in the neighboring district of Santa Eugènia (and is named after one of its most important possessios), is an irrigation canal that brings water to the torrent of Biniali or Solleric.
The Well of Biniali
This well is located next to the torrent of Biniali and is made up of two reservoirs. The most striking well is that of Pozo Nou with an apsidal section neck, four jambas of stone and two crossbars also of stone. We are referring to a very old reservoir mentioned by the Mallorcan erudite Jeroni de Bestard in 1789: “It has an esplanade with a stream and a well. The land already partakes of the mountain trees, with many fig trees that snow is said to have destroyed” .
The Bridge of Biniali's Torrent
Currently there are two bridges: the first one is modern, which connects with the paths of sa Costa and the Terrer Blanc path to Biniali and a second one, built of stone where the Ml-3120 road runs, it has two arches and a cutwater in the center. It also has an arches´s keystone that is embellished with two coats of arms, one being of the Consell de Mallorca, and dated 2008.
The Windmill of Can Moliner
Can Moliner is a flour windmill, located at the end of the Molí alley. It was completed in 1835, as indicated by an inscription on one of the jambs, and is currently without blades. The builders were Sebastià Company and Antoni Amengual. The tower is of circular section with a lintel portal, formerly located above the blades.
Pou Major (the big well)
The Pou Major is one of the most important hydraulic ensembles of the term. It has two wells separated by 10 m and communicates from within. Both present quadrangular openings, troughs for livestock, jambs and stringers. In Sencelles it is remembered how during the years of drought the tanks remained closed because the people of Binissalem were going there to fetch water.
The Big Well's Bridge (Pou Major)
Just near the Pou Major there’s a simple bridge with a single segmental eye that goes over the torrent of Sencelles and built of marés stone (a type of sandstone). The walkway is of just over a meter wide, with a parapet.
The Windmills of Can Mascaró and Can Reül
These two ingenious windmills, located near each other are documented from the end of the 18th century. During the next century they belonged to Francesc Llabrés Mascaró. One of the two (on the street Son Arom) went on to belong to Joan Campaner Llabrés Reojo. We know that Can Mascaró was inhabited up until 1957.
The Windmill of Cas Ferrerico
Just at the entrance of the town, near the church this windmill stands, constructed in 1829 by Rafel Ramon and currently is without blades. It has a circular section tower of 4´60 m in diameter. The edge of the portal of the house has an external staircase, attached to the side wall with 22 steps.